It's Movie Time!
Martin Scorcese once said, “I can see great similarities between a church and a movie-house. Both are places for people to come together and share a common experience.”
While this space is neither a church or a movie house, each month, we will be watching a film with some surprising – even unlikely – cinematic choices. Then we will discuss the spiritual messages and lessons that we can take from the story and the characters as we enhance our understanding of who we are and how we are in the world.
The 2nd Sunday we will gather at 3:00 pm to view the film and discuss the spiritual lessons. Feel free to bring BYOB. Popcorn will be provided. Love offerings accepted
- January -- The Shadow Effect by Deepak Chopra The Shadow Effect, a visually stunning and cutting-edge documentary, will inspire you to step out of the self that you've known and break free from the bonds of the past. Deepak Chopra, Marianne Williamson, Dr. David Simon, and other world-renowned thinkers join Debbie Ford to reveal the transformative power of your shadow -- the parts of yourself that you dislike and disown, the past that you regret and repress, and the future that is waiting to be birthed.
- February -- You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay - Golden Girls actress Estelle Getty provides an introduction to this video program by self help author Louise L. Hay, who presents the principles of her book You Can Heal Your Life, explaining her theory about how a person's physical ailments and diseases are a result of unconscious feelings of self hatred.Hay leads viewers through each particular psychological diagnosis she assigns to each physical diagnosis and explains her ideas on overcoming these troubles
- March -- Wake Up -- Jonas Elrod was leading an ordinary life until he woke up one day to a totally new reality. He suddenly could see and hear angels, demons, auras and ghosts. The documentary Wake Up follows this fascinating story of an average guy who inexplicably developed the ability to access other dimensions. With his loving but skeptical girlfriend by his side, Jonas crisscrosses the country as he searches for answers and delves deeper into this thrilling world of the phenomenal and spiritual. Wake Up is a call to consciousness to everyone who sees it; an invitation to accept that there is more to this life than meets the eye.
- April -- God and Buddha: A Dialogue -- A dialogue between Deepak Chopra and Robert Thurman on notions of human suffering, consciousness, reality, and God as appear in Buddhism and the Hindu philosophy of Vedanta.
- May -- The Power of Forgiveness by Thich Nhat Hanch -- To forgive someone can be simple....this simple act can have powerful consequences. From Northern Ireland to Ground Zero to the Amish countryside, explores how forgiveness can transform your life.
- June -- The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra -- Leading spiritual author and speaker Deepak Chopra leads the viewer on a quest for overall personal success. Based on his best-selling book of the same name, The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success breaks down Chopra's teachings into seven basic spiritual principles. The ideas presented bring together Eastern mysticism (such as "kharma" -- one's destiny -- and "dharma" -- the joy in being) and Western principles (such as "pure potentiality" -- everything is available to us -- and "the law of least effort" -- going with the flow). By applying these principles of cosmic alignment to all aspects of personal life, the viewer may develop fulfilling relationships and find the transition to financial success along the way
- July -- Ancient America mound builders : Edgar Cayce's forgotten legacy Since 1997, a series of astounding developments have shattered American archaeology's most cherished beliefs. Excavations have uncovered solid evidence that ancient America was settled at least 50,000 years ago. Includes amazing facts about this fascinating history and features a series of spellbinding interviews
- August -- How to Know God -- How to Know God provides a lively, hour-long video exploration of the ideas presented in philosopher Deepak Chopra's 2000 book of the same title, where he uses a combination of religion, philosophy, physics and neuroscience to define the seven ways in which various individuals (depending on personality, lifestyle, psychological make-up, outlook and accomplishments) can comprehend the concept of "God" - 'Fight or Flight,' 'Visionary,' 'Creative,' 'Sacred,' 'Reactive,' 'Restful Awareness' and 'Intuitive.' Chopra places these concepts on an ascendant scale, and argues that the core of one's spiritual progression in life will involve 'advancing' through all seven stages. In the video version, poetic and engaging visuals accompany Chopra's narration.
- September -- One Track Heart: The Story of Krishna Das -- Documentary filmmaker Jeremy Frindel tells the remarkable story of famed chant master Krishna Das in this inspirational film featuring music by J Mascis and Devada. The year was 1970. Long Island singer Jeffrey Kagel was set to be the front man for the band that would soon become Blue Oyster Cult when he suddenly sold off everything he owned, and disappeared into the foothills of the Himalayas. There, after meeting an obscure Hindu guru named Neem Karoli Baba, the deeply depressed drug addict who once teetered on the cusp of rock & roll stardom would begin the incredible transformation into Krishna Das, a world-renowned vocalist specializing in the Indian devotional music known as Kirtan. Conversations with Ram Dass, Sharon Salzberg, Daniel Goleman, and Rick Rubin offer unprecedented insight into the life of a man who turned his back on certain fame to embrace his true fate
- October -- Why People Don't Heal and How They Can: Three Levels of Power & How to Use Them by Caroline Myss -- Learn about the unacknowledged role that power plays in your spiritual development with Three Levels of Power and How to Use Them. Through wise management of your power, Myss teaches, you can stop wasting energy on events from the past and start using it for your ultimate development as a human being. She explains the profound spiritual implications for shifting to the highest level of personal power; a shift that, she shows, is already taking place. The original public TV broadcast on audio.
- November -- The Importance of Being Extraordinary by Wayne Dwyer and Eckhart Tolle -- Taped on location in Hawaii, this program provides a rare opportunity to listen in on a profoundly moving dialogue between two of the three 'most spiritually influential people alive'.Dr. Wayne W. Dyer and Eckhart Tolle delve into everything from ancient spiritual texts to contemporary pop culture as they tackle questions we all wrestle with, such as Who am I? What is real? and What is the meaning of life? Yet even as they discuss weighty topics such as the economy and addiction, the mood remains graceful, loving, and even humorous.Through their combined wisdom and perception, Wayne and Eckhart bring you inspired lessons for an exhilarating spiritual awakening. This, according to Eckhart, 'consists of relinquishing identification with the conditioned mind through the cultivation of awareness.'Although these lessons are full of rich insight, they are also very practical and can easily be applied to the individual listener and the world at large. For, as Wayne explains, when we 'create a world of extraordinary people who look beyond what they were programmed to become, we impact the entire consciousness of this planet.'
- December -- Finding Your LIfe's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle -- If you’ve been searching for your true purpose in life, Eckhart Tolle has some straightforward advice: stop struggling. For the primary purpose of every human being is simply to be: fully engaged in this moment, and aligned with the natural flow of reality itself. On Finding Your Life’s Purpose, the bestselling author of A New Earthinvites you to discover the twofold intention of our human incarnation: to free yourself from the prison of “thought-based reality,” and to express in your own way the grand vision that universal consciousness has for your life.